I had never been one of those “order your groceries online” kind of gals. In fact, I thought it was kind of weird to not actually go into the store, and hand pick out my shopping list. That was of course until I tried shopping with Door to Door Organics and completely changed my mind.
Here is why:
For several years now I have been making a conscious effort to eat more organic foods which contain fewer chemicals and pesticides than conventional produce. I had been seeking out local farmer’s markets, and natural health stores, but that was becoming hard in the winter. DTDO partners with farmers to bring fresh, organic produce and natural groceries directly to your doorstep throughout the year.
So here is how it works, if you’re wondering…
1. You choose a box size to fit your family size. There are four options available to pick:
Bitty: Perfect for 1 to 2 people ($26.99)
Small: Perfect for 34 people ($33.99)
Medium: Perfect for fruit or veggie loving family of 4 ($40.99) - this is the one my hubby and I ended up going for since we love extra veggies with every meal
Large: Perfect for a family of vegetarians ($55.66)
- You choose your delivery frequency, and delivery day. (we picked every Tuesday)
- You get to choose from either Fruit, Veggie, or Mixed box (we choose veggie only)
- You get to customize your produce and make up to five substitutions to get more of your favorites in each delivery. So for instance, each week, DTDO will choose an assortment of veggies, but since I love bell peppers and broccoli, I’ll make sure to sub it in if it’s not already there for the week.
- Add other groceries. This makes it convenient to add some organic eggs or chicken breast to my order each week. Sometimes I even make room for some treats like their organic chocolates, or espresso beans. Yum!
Here are some photos of the box that came in last week….
A few of the veggies that came in for the week were:
- Kale bunch
- Cilantro bunch
- 2 bell peppers
- 5 bananas
- Rainbow chard
- Mushroom pack
- Broccoli bunch
- Baby Spring Mix
- 3 oranges
- 2 red onions, 1 white
As you can see, this is a pretty nice amount of locally sourced, organic produce that would have cost just about the same in the grocery store. Plus, did I mention it’s free delivery??
I also added some organic chicken breast and buffalo bratwurst!
…and not to forget some healthy snacks 🙂
So overall, if you eat organic products, this is a no brainer. I would just make sure that you log into your account the day before your scheduled delivery to make sure you’re getting the produce you like and make substitutions at this point, because once it ships, you won’t be able to make any changes. Luckily, the website allows to also set a list of your favorites, and produce you do not like.
I’m rating it 4.5/5 stars, only because, I wish I could customize my entire produce box, although that's probably asking for too much. Try it for a week using my $10 off discount code, and if you don’t enjoy it, you are free to cancel future deliveries, but I suspect you’ll find it surprisingly fun to shop online! After all, it almost 2015 on the horizon, so why wait in line at the store, when you can be spending the time with your loved ones.